Current:Home > reviewsPoinbank:Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws -Capitatum
Poinbank:Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:27:10
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Video game maker Epic Games sued Google and PoinbankSamsung on Monday, accusing the tech companies of coordinating to block third-party competition in application distribution on Samsung devices.
At issue is Samsung’s “Auto Blocker” feature, which only allows for apps from authorized sources, such as the Samsung Galaxy Store or Google Play Store, to be installed. The feature is turned on by default but can be changed in a phone’s settings. The tool prevents the installation of applications from unauthorized sources and blocks “malicious activity,” according to Samsung.
In a lawsuit filed in San Francisco federal court — Epic’s second against Google — the company said Auto Blocker “is virtually guaranteed to entrench Google’s dominance over Android app distribution.” Epic, developer of the popular game “Fortnite,” filed the suit to prevent Google from “negating the long overdue promise of competition in the Android App Distribution Market,” according to the complaint.
“Allowing this coordinated illegal anti-competitive dealing to proceed hurts developers and consumers and undermines both the jury’s verdict and regulatory and legislative progress around the world,” Epic Games said in a post on its website.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Samsung said it “actively fosters market competition, enhances consumer choice, and conducts its operations fairly.”
“The features integrated into our devices are designed in accordance with Samsung’s core principles of security, privacy, and user control, and we remain fully committed to safeguarding users’ personal data. Users have the choice to disable Auto Blocker at any time,” Samsung said, adding that it plans to “vigorously contest Epic Game’s baseless claims.”
Epic launched its Epic Games Store on iPhones in the European Union and on Android devices worldwide in August. The company claims that it now takes “an exceptionally onerous 21-step process” to download a third-party app outside of the Google Play Store or the Samsung Galaxy Store. But a support page on Epic’s website shows a four-step process to remove the Auto Blocker setting.
Epic won its first antitrust lawsuit against Google in December after a jury found that Google’s Android app store had been protected by anti-competitive barriers that damaged smartphone consumers and software developers.
The game maker says the “Auto Blocker” feature was intentionally crafted in coordination with Google to preemptively undermine the jury’s verdict in that case.
“Literally no store can compete with the incumbents when disadvantaged in this way,” Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said on X. “To have true competition, all reputable stores and apps must be free to compete on a level playing field.”
veryGood! (75)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Prince Harry Returning to U.K. to Visit Dad King Charles III Amid Cancer Diagnosis
- Which NFL team has won the most Super Bowls? 49ers have chance to tie record
- Stock market today: Asian stocks mostly fall as Chinese shares skid despite moves to help markets
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- 2024 Grammys: Olivia Rodrigo and Taylor Swift Prove Feud Rumors Are Old News
- Israeli family on their agonizing Gaza captivity, and why freeing the hostages must be Israel's only mission
- Tarek El Moussa Details Gun Incident That Led to Christina Hall Split
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Fantasy football meets Taylor Swift in massive 'Swiftball' competition
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Detroit father of 6 dies days after being mauled by 3 dogs: family says
- Horoscopes Today, February 3, 2024
- Who won Grammys for 2024? See the full winners list here
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Life-threatening flood threat as heavy rain and powerful winds clobber California
- Blue Ivy Steals the Show While Jay-Z Accepts 2024 Grammys Global Impact Award
- BaubleBar Founders (& Best Friends) Amy Jain and Daniella Yacobvsky Share Galentine's Day Gift Ideas
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Ben Affleck Leans Into “Sad Affleck” Memes in Dunkin’s 2024 Grammys Commercial
Senators release a $118 billion package that pairs border policies with aid for Ukraine and Israel
Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf defeat John McEnroe, Maria Sharapova in Pickleball Slam 2
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
How Calvin Harris Reacted to Seeing Ex Taylor Swift at 2024 Grammys
Victoria Monét Wins Best New Artist at 2024 Grammys
Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco’s 2024 Grammys After-Party Date Night Will Capture Your Attention